Navy Beans are a 12 - 14 week crop that suit a range of crop rotations. Bean Growers Australia supplies a range of domestic customers with quality navy beans including SPC Ardmona. SPC have been a long time supporter of the Australian navy bean industry and this partnership has benefited Australian farmers. Bean Growers focuses on supplying consistent, high quality navy beans to our customers and encourage our growers to aim for high quality beans.
Navy Beans growers are paid on a clean seed weight basis. Contrasting colours and frosted or weather damaged beans are removed from the sample by colour sorters.
Contracts to Supply Navy Beans
Contracts to supply Navy Beans to Bean Growers Australia are available on a season by season basis.
For contract enquiries for the coming season please contact our team. Growers please contact Andrew McDonald - 0409622318 (see Contact Us).
Preferred Navy Bean Varieties
With assistance from the Queensland Department of Agriculture (DEEDI) Bean Growers Australia has recently developed a new variety of Navy Beans, Arwon, which has become our preferred variety.
Arwon is a great boost for the Australian Navy Bean industry thanks to it's strong yields, erect structure and robust growing characteristics. Bean Growers Australia now has new season seed supplies of Arwon available for 2013.
Bean Growers has recently re-released parent seed of Spearfelt which has improved seed vigour and crop establishment. Spearfelt remains an important variety for the Australian Navy Bean industry.
Growing Navy Beans
- a Navy Bean Growing Guide is available on request
- a number of Navy Bean growing fact sheets are available from Bean Growers Australia on request
- planting window for Southern Queensland is January to late February or growers can consider a spring plant crop in late August to early September
- North Queensland Navy Beans should be planted by the first of August
- seed size is similar to soybeans – typically 4500 – 5500 seeds/kg
- the Burnett & Fassifern regions are largely dryland crops, while in other growing regions, navy beans are best irrigated
- Navy Beans require a moderate to high level of agronomic management. For more agronomic information on growing Navy Beans speak to your local Bean Growers representative
- Navy Bean IPM information may also be available on the DEEDI IPM website - www.thebeatsheet.com.au
- Bean Growers Australia has planting seed available for Arwon and Spearfelt Navy Beans
- Order as soon as you decide to plant – orders for seed are strictly first in, best dressed
- See For Growers for more information on ordering planting seed